Since I was only 38 weeks pregnant and a first time mother, I just could not believe it! I was in denial, I kept saying "no way, I can't really be in labor" or "no way, this is too easy, I must just be confused" or "maybe I have the stomach flu". As a midwife I knew the signs were showing that I was in active labor, however I just kept thinking it wasn't real labor because I felt too good.
We called Shine and Katy, our midwives, to let them know this could be the day and we needed to get a birth tub set up. Topaz came over to hang out with me while Nic drove across town to pick up the tub. Nic was definitely my comfort during labor because as soon as he left my contractions sped up to 2-3 minutes apart. I was nervous at this point because based on the timing of my contractions my midwife mind knew the baby could be coming soon. Yet, I still felt great. Topaz and I continued to do little chores around the house. Once Nic came home and set up the tub I could relax knowing everything was ready. We sent Topaz home and enjoyed a few hours alone. One strange sensation that I recall about active labor was having very cold feet. We labored together for a while before *texting* (who does that?) the midwives that I was ready for them to come over.
Around noon, just before the midwives arrived, I decided to get into the birth tub. I was a little embarrassed, thinking I was still in early labor, but it felt so heavenly I just could not resist! The midwives came over around noon, and when Katy checked me she told me I was 5 cm dilated. Just as my heart sank, knowing most of the work was still ahead, Katy said "just kidding, your at 7!". This was the meanest joke, however, at that moment I loved her for it.
![]() |
After that, I moved into transition, the hardest part of labor. I remember Katy's icy hands on my lower back feeling so good, then suddenly nothing felt good. I was saying things like "yes, press harder", "wait, don't touch me", "air, I need air", and "Shut up, PLEASE!". As you can see Nic was busy fanning me and giving me bites of popsicles. Honestly this part of labor flew by; the part I remember the most is how awesome the breaks between contractions were and feeling like the tub was the best thing on earth.
Shortly after that, I started feeling like pushing. This is when Nic got in. People always say that pushing feels good, however, I did not have that experience. I kept waiting for it to feel good, but I wouldn't quite describe it that way. It didn't feel bad, it's just that the breaks in between felt so amazing! I really didn't do anything during this part, my body did it all. It felt like she was coming so fast and more than once I asked her to slow down. No matter what I did to try slow this part down, nothing worked, I had no control of my body. Before I knew it, she was out! AT 2:09 she was born into Nic's arms and we lifted her up to my chest. Since my water never broke, she was born in her amniotic sac and to everyone's surprise she came out breech; butt first with her feet folded up by her head.
![]() |
Here she is, Vera Love
We fell for her instantly
I would say (besides the tub of course) the best part of having her born at home, was being able to crawl right into our own bed and snuggle up to our new baby. This was the most amazing day of my life.







This is so incredibly beautiful... thanks for posting it! I got teary... so proud of you!
ReplyDeleteThis was so amazing to read through Autumn. What a beautiful experience you and Nic had! I look forward to continue reading your blog. Love and miss you!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post, Autumn. I can't wait to meet her in August and hear more about the story in detail, in person!
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your birth story, Autumn, and seeing your pictures. Can't wait to meet Vera Love!
ReplyDeleteHow glad we all are for Vera Love! And these are wonderful pics and text that tell a beautiful concise birth story (I guess there wasn't time for it to be a super long story! ha ha)
ReplyDeleteThis is the first day I am seeing your blog, Autumn. Already I can see it's going to be a good one. I love being connected to other people this way, especially in relation to mothering. It's going to be fun to keep up with you this way.
xoo